Group Financial Controller
Reporting to: Finance Director
Direct reports: Three (at this point but subject to review)
Relates to: Internal - Operations Director/Revenue/Sales External - Franchisors/Auditors/Legal/Banks/Stakeholders
Location: 10 Penn Road, Beaconsfield, HP9 2LH
Starboard Hotels, including a subsidiary Starboard Dining, is a fast pace and dynamic business environment. The finance function is growing considerably following a review and this is a key role in the future plans of the business.
A family run business that has seen major expansion in scale over the last three years, this role provides focus and leadership across the financial landscape as the organisation continues to develop and diversify.
This is a new role directly supporting the FD. It provides a very exciting opportunity for the right person to lead and steer the finance team on a day to day basis whilst at the same time contributing to strategic development, risk management and the formulation of new business initiatives.
General Scope & Purpose:
To ensure that all accounting records and reports are prepared in an accurate, timely, informative way in line with all Company policies reflecting statutory compliance.
To be a key player in promoting a performance culture in the finance function; setting objectives and meeting KPI’s.
To coach, guide and support all employees in finance to achieve corporate and professional standards and produce quality information and service to stakeholders
To provide financial support and guidance to the General Managers and Senior Leaders.
To ensure that the forecasting, variance management and budgeting processes are in line with business need. Possess a strong leadership ability; extensive interpersonal/communication attributes; an analytical mind; excellent problem solving and decision making skills and a good instinct for business.
• Team Development and leadership
o Build and manage a first-class finance team. Be a role model of our values
• Financial Reporting
o To ensure that all monthly management accounts are prepared accurately in a timely and informative manner, including commentary on key variances.
o To review and challenge the accuracy of forecasts and other financial information prepared
o To ensure accuracy and adherence to company policy and statutory compliance in relation to: o the treasury function
o hotel forecasts, commentaries and analysis
o To attend the monthly financial reviews and support the senior leadership team members in highlighting risk and opportunities in the months ahead. o To compile Year End accounts and commentaries for Stakeholders
• Systems Expert
o To support the Senior Management Accountant on all financial systems
o Co-ordinate management of monthly payroll
o To develop the finance policies/standard operating procedures providing a consistent approach to all accounting regulation regardless of brands.
o Complete internal audits on all hotels on a 6-monthly basis, with follow up action plans to be reviewed on subsequent visits.
o Overview of monthly balance sheet reconciliations and month end results.
• Budget Management
o To manage the hotel budgetary process including variance analysis by brand, property size and other comparable indicators.
o To support the Hotels in preparation of Hotel Asset Plans
• Financial Modelling & Planning
o Liaise with hotel key personnel across Operations to support the production of accurate numbers
o Prepare complex and diverse feasibilities/reports
o Prepare quarterly ROI’s analysis for key investments
• Statutory Requirements & Compliance Needs o Support and execute all legal compliance, principally but not limited to:
Ensure PCI compliance
Expert and lead in GDPR compliance
• Lead and support business growth
o To support the Finance Director with acquisitions/disposals
o Ensure smooth integration of new acquisitions or migration of disposals from all financial perspectives
Skills and Attributes required:
This role will appeal to a strong and performance focused leader who is able to inspire people to meet professional and key objectives.
The successful candidate will have a track record of achievement coupled with an innovative and creative approach. A natural problem solver and decision maker, the successful candidate will be able to call on broad business experience. Also:
• Be a qualified Accountant
• Have advanced skills in the use of MS products particularly Excel
• Have demonstrable knowledge and experience across all areas of financial accountability
• Have extensive experience of computer-based accounting systems (currently using Xero)
• Possess a successful background in financial matters within the hospitality industry in a Head Office position at senior level (preferably 5 years)
• Have strong evidence of leadership and people management in effecting business change
• Possess evidence of delivering impressive individual and team performance against objectives/KPI’s In addition, the following would be desirable:
• Experience of hotel new builds or the construction industry
• Have a knowledge of hospitality Property Management Systems
• Have experience of using Fourth at high level and/or other Payroll/HR/Rota systems
• Experience of working to Board level The postholder will be required to travel/stay away from home regularly on business around the UK visiting existing portfolio sites or emerging business locations Equal Opportunities
To carry out all duties of the post in accordance with the Equal Opportunities policy of the Company at all times
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and the post holder will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by their changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives.
• Life Insurance
• Support for professional development & training
• Access to “Perkbox” for discounts & rewards
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Childcare Vouchers
• Corporate David Lloyd Membership Scheme
• Employee Assistance Programme
• 28 days holiday including bank holidays