Assistant Financial Controller
Reporting to: Group Financial Controller
Direct reports: Two (at this point but subject to review)
Relates to: Internal: Hotel Cluster Managers/General Managers/Senior Management Accountant
Location: 10 Penn Road, Beaconsfield, HP9 2LH
Starboard Hotels, including a subsidiary Starboard Dining, is a fast pace and dynamic business environment. The Finance function is growing considerably following a review and this is a key role in the expansion plans of the business.
A family run business that has seen major growth in scale over the last three years, this role supports the development of the finance function across the estate is considered critical to success and is at the heart of the organisation going forwards.
General Scope & Purpose:
To ensure that accurate management and financial accounts are produced consistently in line with company accounting policies and timetables.
You will work with the General Managers and other senior colleagues in support functions on key financial activities. You will deliver timely and accurate reporting.
As a senior member of the financial team, you will provide financial expertise and leadership in all business matters and audit across the Group.
You will take responsibility for day to day overview of the financial environment on compliance including Procurement/Purchasing, Debt Management, PCI and GDPR etc
Be a ‘systems expert’ and provide training and development for others across the business
• Prepare monthly management reports and analysis, reviewing with senior managers
• Complete balance sheet reconciliations.
• Audit of existing finance systems to ensure accuracy of coding and data capture.
• Assist with new openings and acquisitions to migrate properties onto current finance platforms.
• Report on all capital expenditure vs budget.
• Monitor conduct and compliance with statutory requirements in all areas
• Audit the controls in place at each hotel and advise/support the implementation of practices to maximise profit.
• Provide support in the preparation of budgets and business plans for each hotel.
• Implement revenue controls and audit cost controls and processes.
• Consolidation of reports and prepare statistics and analysis on trading.
• Manage applications for credit, and monitor credit levels in line with defined limits to reduce company risk.
• Assist with assembling and monitoring financial KPIs and risk register
• Monitor the financial environment generally and advise on potential areas for improvement/cost savings. • Ensure there are correct inventory controls in place for the purchasing, receiving and management of stock
• Produce relevant and up to date financial policies and procedures.
• Carry out development projects, in conjunction with other functional areas, and produce reports as required to meet the needs of the company. Be a change agent and communications Champion.
• Assist with Rota submission and payroll.
Skills and Attributes required:
It will suit a capable, and skilled financial practitioner who is a self-starter; willing and able to set and meet challenging objectives.
Possessing strong influencing skills and the ability to work closely with colleagues outside the finance function, the successful candidate will:
• Be a qualified or nearly qualified Accountant
• Have advanced skills in the use of MS products particularly Excel
• Have a strong background in audit and control
• Demonstrate a good knowledge of financial matters in the hospitality sector generally in a Head Office or Group level environment or have a similar service industry background (preferably 2-3 years)
• Be performance focussed, organised, and flexible in approach, balancing emerging demands
• Be able to plan and work methodically and assist in the leadership of business change
• Have good people management skills
• Have a strong problem solving/decision making history in a variety of roles In addition, the following would be desirable:
• Experience of project management
• Experience/knowledge of payroll
• Experience of delivering system training
• Experience of working to Board level The postholder will be required to travel/stay away from home regularly on business around the UK visiting existing portfolio sites or emerging business locations Equal Opportunities
To carry out all duties of the post in accordance with the Equal Opportunities policy of the Company at all times.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and the post holder will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by their changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives.
• Life Insurance
• Support for professional development & training
• Access to “Perkbox” for discounts & rewards
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Childcare Vouchers
• Corporate David Lloyd Membership Scheme
• Employee Assistance Programme
• 28 days holiday including bank holidays