Area Sales Manager | North West & South
Directly Reports to: Head of Sales
Indirectly Reports to: Commercial Director
Location: Looking after a number of hotels in the South of the UK and the North West of the UK (travel expected)
Inspire, lead and develop the sales, resources in your base hotel and across the portfolio to deliver a multiyear, innovative commercial plan which delivers sustainable long-term above-market RGI performance. Leverage scale across the portfolio of hotels to drive superior performance and maximise efficiency where appropriate.
The stewardship of the complete revenue generating capacity of the assigned portfolio is the responsibility of the role. Establishing a superior entrepreneurial approach to profit generation and market positioning, whilst challenging conventionality and encouraging innovation.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop long term innovative commercial plans to drive superior RGI, revenues and profit
• Challenge conventionality and adjust this plan with continual research and analysis of business performance, existing and new market potential as well as evolving competitive behaviour.
• Inspire and lead the commercial teams to generate profitable revenue through an entrepreneurial approach and mind set.
• Ensure proven and successful ways of working are rigorously maintained to ensure total sales and sales conversion are maximised.
• Leverage the Starboard hotels sales community, including General Managers to achieve maximum value for each business.
• Fully leverage the market reach offered by the revenue management team.
• Form strategic commercial alliances and partnerships that support each hotel’s positioning and actively promotes each Hotel and each brand through community and / or professional involvement. Positively influence regional tourism offices and other important third party organisations in such a way that derives benefits for a hotel or hotels.
• Ensure cost performance is planned according to expected returns and that appropriate adjustments are made throughout the operating year. Ensure the adoption of a culture of contribution to profit is established and maintained.
• Pro-actively manage key relationships with key hotel leaders and Starboard leadership teams to ensure alignment in strategic direction and achieve collaboration where required.
• Attract high potential talent to ensure colleague capability remains a competitive advantage for the business.
• Inspire and empower a culture of continued personal development for all colleagues. Provide mentoring, coaching and regular feedback to build the talent pipeline
• Lead and motivate to create a high performance team, ensuring all colleagues have information, market data, tools and skills to successfully perform their role.
• Recognise performance and engage in the reward and recognition program. Take appropriate action to address performance not meeting expectations, to improve performance.
• Through great leadership deliver on the Starboard Commitment, with a focus on prioritising key areas as indicated through focus groups, Employee Survey, or internal assessment.
• Provide guests with information (example: loyalty programmes, area attractions, restaurants, facility information) to enhance guest experience
• Schedule conventions and/or business group activities at the hotel and coordinate with other hotellevel departments to facilitate services agreed upon by the sales office and prospective clients
• Communicate to appropriate departments all pertinent information requirements and special needs for arriving VIP’s, large groups, and other key guests
• Lead marketing efforts to up sell guests on hotel services, offerings, and amenities
Business Stakeholders and Social Responsibilities
• Work closely with key business leaders, officials, and representatives of local community groups within the different cities to ensure constant high profile exposure for the hotel
• Effectively communicate and market aspects of the hotel that are sustainable or “green” and use information to gain new business opportunities
• Work with advertising agencies, consulting firms, and vendors to maximise advertising investments and ensure ads represent brand identity
• Raise the awareness and reputation of you’re the hotel locally – supporting the General Managers when they are acting as hotel representative for media related enquire
• Ad-hoc duties – unexpected moments when we have to pull together to get a task done
As a key role in the leadership team of the base hotel, this role is primarily accountable for the performance in key metrics at your base hotel and across your portfolio of hotels as follows:
• Above market performance in RGI
• Generation of all revenues (room, catering, outlets and other) in line with budgeted expectations
• Gross operating profit performance of the hotel in line with owner agreement
• Exemplary activation of each brand in a competitively differentiated way
• Management of costs in line with the annual Sales & Marketing department operating budget
• A continual positive trend or continued over-performance of employee satisfaction
• A pro-active, structured development plan for self and for all members of each commercial team
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent international degree in Marketing, Business or Commerce
• Min 5 years’ experience with proven track record of success in senior commercial leadership capacity
• Demonstrated project management experience in organising, planning and executing large scale projects from conception through to implementation
• Experience in successfully managing multi-stakeholder high level relationships in a matrix environment of multiplicity, uncertainty, and change
• Ability to work across multiple diversified business units or multiple projects
• Leader who creates a culture of execution, accountability and outperformance
• Proactive approach, with strong drive for team results and a track record of achievement
• Demonstrated ability to approach situations with analysis, clarity, leadership, time management and prioritisation; develop strategic plans, establish goals and objectives, set performance targets
• Ability to analyse, identify key issues, interpret and extract trends from base information
• Display an understanding of market trends and customer needs and the market research process
• Hotel, Tourism and Hospitality experience not essential but preferred
• Understand and proficient in the media planning process
•Demonstrated strategic ability
• Knowledge of channel and trade marketing
• Ability to work with creative agencies
• Competent in allocating resources, controlling expenses and working within pre-determined budgets